US female Sikh student laughs off cruel taunts
London: A Sikh US university student who defended her facial hair and faith when a photo of her went viral has won a legion of fans for her dignified response, the News Agencies reported Wednesday.
A man took a photo without Balpreet Kaur`s consent and uploaded onto Reddit in the "funny" category with the tagline "im (sic) not sure what to conclude from this".
The picture shows her standing in a queue. The student, who is president of the Sikh Student Association, refused to attack the person who had posted the photo.
The aspiring neurosurgeon, instead of flying into a rage at the person behind the cheap dig, posted a comment explaining why she didn`t remove her hair, the News Agencies said.
Kaur, who is an Ohio State University student, pointed out that as part of the five Ks that Sikhs follow, one of the tenets is Kesh, which asks that she allows her hair to grow naturally and does not cut it.
Kaur said: "I`m not embarrassed or even humiliated by the attention (negative and positive) that this picture is getting because, it`s who I am."
Many viewers accused the person behind the cheap dig of being mean and deliberately trying to draw laughs at Kaur`s expense.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery