US female Sikh student laughs off cruel taunts
London: A Sikh US university student who defended her facial hair and faith when a photo of her went viral has won a legion of fans for her dignified response, the News Agencies reported Wednesday.
A man took a photo without Balpreet Kaur`s consent and uploaded onto Reddit in the "funny" category with the tagline "im (sic) not sure what to conclude from this".
The picture shows her standing in a queue. The student, who is president of the Sikh Student Association, refused to attack the person who had posted the photo.
The aspiring neurosurgeon, instead of flying into a rage at the person behind the cheap dig, posted a comment explaining why she didn`t remove her hair, the News Agencies said.
Kaur, who is an Ohio State University student, pointed out that as part of the five Ks that Sikhs follow, one of the tenets is Kesh, which asks that she allows her hair to grow naturally and does not cut it.
Kaur said: "I`m not embarrassed or even humiliated by the attention (negative and positive) that this picture is getting because, it`s who I am."
Many viewers accused the person behind the cheap dig of being mean and deliberately trying to draw laughs at Kaur`s expense.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees