US female Sikh student laughs off cruel taunts
London: A Sikh US university student who defended her facial hair and faith when a photo of her went viral has won a legion of fans for her dignified response, the News Agencies reported Wednesday.
A man took a photo without Balpreet Kaur`s consent and uploaded onto Reddit in the "funny" category with the tagline "im (sic) not sure what to conclude from this".
The picture shows her standing in a queue. The student, who is president of the Sikh Student Association, refused to attack the person who had posted the photo.
The aspiring neurosurgeon, instead of flying into a rage at the person behind the cheap dig, posted a comment explaining why she didn`t remove her hair, the News Agencies said.
Kaur, who is an Ohio State University student, pointed out that as part of the five Ks that Sikhs follow, one of the tenets is Kesh, which asks that she allows her hair to grow naturally and does not cut it.
Kaur said: "I`m not embarrassed or even humiliated by the attention (negative and positive) that this picture is getting because, it`s who I am."
Many viewers accused the person behind the cheap dig of being mean and deliberately trying to draw laughs at Kaur`s expense.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Fire in Hauz Khas Village, one found dead
- Premier League 2016-17: Sunderland struggling to match rivals financially, says David Moyes
- England won't force players to tour Bangladesh, says skipper Eoin Morgan
- Uttar Pradesh Speaker to decide on disqualification of Swamy Prasad Maurya
- Public figures must face criticism, don't misuse state machinery: SC to J Jayalalithaa