US female Sikh student laughs off cruel taunts
London: A Sikh US university student who defended her facial hair and faith when a photo of her went viral has won a legion of fans for her dignified response, the News Agencies reported Wednesday.
A man took a photo without Balpreet Kaur`s consent and uploaded onto Reddit in the "funny" category with the tagline "im (sic) not sure what to conclude from this".
The picture shows her standing in a queue. The student, who is president of the Sikh Student Association, refused to attack the person who had posted the photo.
The aspiring neurosurgeon, instead of flying into a rage at the person behind the cheap dig, posted a comment explaining why she didn`t remove her hair, the News Agencies said.
Kaur, who is an Ohio State University student, pointed out that as part of the five Ks that Sikhs follow, one of the tenets is Kesh, which asks that she allows her hair to grow naturally and does not cut it.
Kaur said: "I`m not embarrassed or even humiliated by the attention (negative and positive) that this picture is getting because, it`s who I am."
Many viewers accused the person behind the cheap dig of being mean and deliberately trying to draw laughs at Kaur`s expense.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city