US finally calls Kunming knife attack a `terror act` after Chinese media fury
Zee Media Bureau/Supriya Jha
Washington: After the Chinese state media slammed the United States for downplaying the knife attack at the Kunming railway station in Yunnan province, the US State Department on Tuesday agreed to term the attack an act of terrorism.
The controversy over the US reaction revolves around a violent attack by the separatist forces in Xinjiang, when terrorists brandishing knives went on a stabbing-spree at a railway station in Kunming city of China`s Yunnan province, slashing to death at least 29 people and injuring 130 on saturday.
In an initial reaction, the US had stopped short of calling the attack an act of terror, merely calling it "a horrific, senseless act of violence".
Following which Chinese state media accused the US of "double standards in the global fight against terrorism".
The Chinese media lashed out at the US for its “ambiguous stance on the on China`s counter-terrorism drive in Xinjiang”.
An angry commentary in Xinhua stated, “ For the "most active human rights defender," the latest random killing of 29 innocent civilians is too insignificant to be a terrorist activity.... This is not the first time they have adopted this double standard on terrorism. In October, CNN published an op-ed article titled "Tian`anmen crash: Terrorism or cry of desperation?".
The knife attack, which is the bloodiest attack in China in recent years, was called as "premeditated, violent terrorist attack" by the ethnic separatists in Xinjiang in western China.
Xinjiang is home to the Uighur Muslims. Xinjinag has been restive for the past few years as Uighurs have protested over growing settlements of Han Chinese in the province.
The militants belonging to the banned East Turkistan Islamic Movement (ETIM, an al-Qaeda linked group have been staging many violent attacks through Xinjiang but very rarely they attack outside the province of Xinjiang.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'