US for dialogue to resolve South China Sea row
Washington: The US supports a collaborative diplomatic process to resolve the South China Sea dispute between China and its neighbours as it is against measures that are seen as potential threats to some in the region, a top American official has said.
"The US position is clear. We support a collaborative, diplomatic process by all claimants to resolve these disputes, and we are concerned about unilateral actions. There should be dialogue among the countries in the region," Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs Mike Hammer said.
"It`s something we`ve been trying to promote and therefore we need to ensure that these questions are resolved within the framework of existing international law and through dialogue and not any measures that are seen as potential threats to some in the region," Hammer said in his interaction with journalists at the Washington Foreign Press Center.
The United States, he said, does not take a position on competing sovereignty claims over land features in the South China Sea.
"We call on all claimants to clarify and pursue their claims in accordance with international law, including as reflected in the Law of the Sea Convention," he said.
At another news conference, State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said the US is in talks with its ASEAN colleagues, as they talk to China about these things.
"We share the concern that these issues need to be handled within international law, within Law of the Sea Treaty terms, and we think it’s important that members of Congress are also speaking out and particularly important committee members for that part of the world," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days