US for dialogue to resolve South China Sea row
Washington: The US supports a collaborative diplomatic process to resolve the South China Sea dispute between China and its neighbours as it is against measures that are seen as potential threats to some in the region, a top American official has said.
"The US position is clear. We support a collaborative, diplomatic process by all claimants to resolve these disputes, and we are concerned about unilateral actions. There should be dialogue among the countries in the region," Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs Mike Hammer said.
"It`s something we`ve been trying to promote and therefore we need to ensure that these questions are resolved within the framework of existing international law and through dialogue and not any measures that are seen as potential threats to some in the region," Hammer said in his interaction with journalists at the Washington Foreign Press Center.
The United States, he said, does not take a position on competing sovereignty claims over land features in the South China Sea.
"We call on all claimants to clarify and pursue their claims in accordance with international law, including as reflected in the Law of the Sea Convention," he said.
At another news conference, State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said the US is in talks with its ASEAN colleagues, as they talk to China about these things.
"We share the concern that these issues need to be handled within international law, within Law of the Sea Treaty terms, and we think it’s important that members of Congress are also speaking out and particularly important committee members for that part of the world," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH