US for dialogue to resolve South China Sea row
Washington: The US supports a collaborative diplomatic process to resolve the South China Sea dispute between China and its neighbours as it is against measures that are seen as potential threats to some in the region, a top American official has said.
"The US position is clear. We support a collaborative, diplomatic process by all claimants to resolve these disputes, and we are concerned about unilateral actions. There should be dialogue among the countries in the region," Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs Mike Hammer said.
"It`s something we`ve been trying to promote and therefore we need to ensure that these questions are resolved within the framework of existing international law and through dialogue and not any measures that are seen as potential threats to some in the region," Hammer said in his interaction with journalists at the Washington Foreign Press Center.
The United States, he said, does not take a position on competing sovereignty claims over land features in the South China Sea.
"We call on all claimants to clarify and pursue their claims in accordance with international law, including as reflected in the Law of the Sea Convention," he said.
At another news conference, State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said the US is in talks with its ASEAN colleagues, as they talk to China about these things.
"We share the concern that these issues need to be handled within international law, within Law of the Sea Treaty terms, and we think it’s important that members of Congress are also speaking out and particularly important committee members for that part of the world," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof