US forms commission to recommend on electoral reforms
Washington: US President Barack Obama has constituted a commission on electoral reforms to come up with recommendations towards promoting efficient conduct of elections.
The Presidential Commission on Election Administration will be chaired by Bob Bauer and Ben Ginsberg, who has served as the general counsel for Obama`s re-election campaign and the national council for Mitt Romney`s campaign.
The executive order signed by Obama, directs the commission to submit a final report to the President within six months of its first public meeting.
It also asks them to consider a variety of ways to shorten queues of voters and promote the efficient conduct of elections.
In his order, Obama said the Commission shall identify best practices and make recommendations to promote efficient administration of elections.
It will help ensure that all eligible voters have the opportunity to cast ballots without undue delay, and try to improve the experience of voters facing obstacles in casting their ballots.
Among other things, the Commission will look into various aspects related to the election process including the voting machine and technology, issues related to polling places, voting accessibility for uniformed and overseas voters, voter education and increasing voting accessibility.
"That report is intended to serve as a best practices guide for state and local election officials to improve voters` experience at the polls under their existing election laws," White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said.
It also seeks to improve the voting experience, make voter registration easier and increase access to voting for all Americans.
Welcoming the move, Democratic Party leader Nancy Pelosi said with this, President Obama has taken an essential step in advancing every American`s right to vote.
Unjustifiably long lines are only one of several problems that plagued the election process in 2012 and created obstacles for citizens seeking to exercise their most fundamental right, said House Democratic Whip Steny H Hoyer.
He hoped that the commission will build on the bipartisan foundation established by the Help America Vote Act of 2002.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read