US, France sign deal for 2016 Mars lander
Washington: The United States and France have unveiled plans to collaborate on a new Mars mission, two years after NASA withdrew from a European partnership to send a probe and lander to the Red Planet.
The project aims to send an unmanned lander to study the deep interior of the dry, dusty planet that is Earth`s neighbour, and will be called InSight, short for the Interior Exploration Using Seismic Investigations, Geodesy, and Heat Transport.
The agreement was signed by NASA Administrator Charles Bolden and Jean-Yves Le Gall, president of the National Centre of Space Studies of France (CNES) at the Mandarin Hotel in Washington yesterday. The mission is scheduled to launch in March 2016 and would arrive on Mars six months later.
"The research generated by this collaborative mission will give our agencies more information about the early formation of Mars, which will help us understand more about how Earth evolved," said Bolden.
Not only would the lander return details about how Mars, a rocky planet like Earth, first formed, it would also probe the how tectonic activity and meteorite impacts shaped the Red Planet.
Other partners on the project`s science instruments include the German Aerospace Centre, United Kingdom Space Agency, and the Swiss Space Office.
The deal comes two years after NASA, citing budget constraints, killed a partnership with Europe on a project called ExoMars.
Russia stepped in last year and inked a deal to cooperate with the European Space Agency on the project, which aims to send two unmanned missions to Mars, including an orbital probe in 2016 to look for atmospheric traces of methane gas - a pointer to the existence of microbial life - followed by a deep-drilling robotic vehicle in 2018.
NASA currently has two rovers actively exploring Mars - the Curiosity rover which launched in 2012 and the smaller Opportunity rover which recently marked its tenth year in operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers