US Gen in Afghanistan under investigation in Petraeus affair
Washington: America`s top commander in Afghanistan is being probed for his alleged "inappropriate communication" with a woman linked to former CIA director David Petraeus, who resigned abruptly last week over an extramarital affair.
US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta, in a statement on Tuesday, said the FBI has referred to him a matter involving General John Allen, currently Commander of the US and NATO forces in Afghanistan.
Allen is accused of alleged "inappropriate communication" with a woman who is said to have received threatening emails from Paula Broadwell, who had extramarital affair with Petraeus.
As a result of which, US President Barack Obama has agreed to put on hold the nomination of Gen Allen as the next commander of the US European Command. His confirmation hearing was scheduled for Thursday.
One of the most successful American commanders, Petraeus resigned as the CIA Director last week over the extramarital.
"Today, I directed that the matter be referred to the Inspector General of the Department of Defence for investigation, and it is now in the hands of the Inspector General," Panetta said.
"While the matter is under investigation and before the facts are determined, General Allen will remain Commander of ISAF.
His leadership has been instrumental in achieving the significant progress that ISAF, working alongside our Afghan partners, has made in bringing greater security to the Afghan people and in ensuring that Afghanistan never again becomes a safe haven for terrorists.
He is entitled to due process in this matter," said the US Defence Secretary.
In the meantime, I have asked the President - and the President has agreed - to put his nomination on hold until the relevant facts are determined," he said.
Recently Allen was nominated to be commander of the United States European Command and Supreme Allied Commander, Europe. He was scheduled to appear before the Senate Armed Services committee for its confirmation.
Obama has nominated General Joseph Dunford, Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps, to succeed General Allen at ISAF. Dunford`s confirmation hearing, however, is as per schedule on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another