US general who led Operation Desert Storm dies
Washington: A retired American general, who led US forces during the Operation Desert Storm in 1991 to drive the Iraqi forces out of Kuwait, has died.
Gen (Rtd) H Norman Schwarzkopf, 78, died in Tampa near Florida where he was living after retirement.
"General Schwarzkopf`s skilled leadership of that campaign liberated the Kuwaiti people and produced a decisive victory for the allied coalition. In the aftermath of that war, General Schwarzkopf was justly recognised as a brilliant strategist and inspiring leader," US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta said.
"Today, we recall that enduring legacy and remember him as one of the great military giants of the 20th century," he said in a statement.
"With the passing of General Norman Schwarzkopf, we`ve lost an American original," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said.
Remembering his services to the nation during US operations in Vietnam and Kuwait, Carney observed Schwarzkopf`s patriotic service made the US more "secure”.
Former US president George HW Bush, who remains in the intensive care unit at a Texas hospital, also mourned Schwarzkopf`s death in a statement.
"Barbara and I mourn the loss of a true American patriot and one of the great military leaders of his generation," he said, describing Schwarzkopf as a "good and decent man".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi