US girl walks to get help after crash kills dad
Los Angeles: A 9-year-old girl crawled out of a mangled sport utility vehicle, climbed out of a canyon and walked about a mile in the middle of the night to find help after surviving a highway crash that killed her father in Southern California, authorities said.
The 2010 Ford Escape was launched about 60 meters down an embankment along a semi-rural stretch of highway about 1 am Sunday, said the California Highway Patrol. The vehicle overturned several times.
The girl managed to extricate herself and walk through rugged terrain to a nearby home, but nobody answered the door, the CHP said. Then she hiked up the steep embankment and along the road to a commuter rail station where she flagged down a passing motorist at about 2:30 am.
"She walked quite a distance in a very, very threatening environment. It`s very black out there, very dark," CHP Sgt. Tom Lackey told KABC-TV. "It`s very steep and it`s brushy and there`s also coyotes in the background."
Responding officers found a man in his 30s had been killed. His name was not released but officials said he was from Los Angeles.
A helicopter transported the girl to Children`s Hospital Los Angeles. She was treated for minor injuries including bumps and bruises and a cut on her face.
Television footage showed crews extricating the severely damaged black SUV from the canyon.
The CHP is investigating whether alcohol played a role in the crash.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued