US government shutdown a moment of politics: John Kerry
Nusa Dua: The shutdown of the US government is a "momentary episode" and does not change the US commitment to Asia or elsewhere, Secretary of State John Kerry said on Saturday.
Kerry is acting as stand-in for President Barack Obama who cancelled his Asia tour, including to the Indonesian resort island of Bali for a meeting of Asia-Pacific leaders, because of the stalemate in Washington over the government shutdown.
"Do not mistake this momentary episode in American politics as anything more than a moment of politics. This is an example of the robustness of our democracy," Kerry said. But he added that if the shutdown were prolonged or repeated, people would question the US ability to "stay the course".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman