US Govt seizes telephone records of AP journalists
London: In what comes as a further constraint on freedom of the press, the US Government has secretly seized the telephone records of journalists of the Associated Press.
The Department of Justice has gathered the telephone records of more than twenty lines. The chief executive of AP has described this act as a `massive and unprecedented intrusion`.
The Department, however, claims that this reported seizure of telephone records has been carried out as a result of a criminal investigation into information, which was contained in an AP story last year in the months of April and May, reports the BBC.
In the story by AP that was published in May 2012, it was mentioned that a CIA operation in Yemen foiled an Al-Qaeda plot, which was to blow up a US-bound airplane.
According to the BBC, the phone records of five reporters and an editor who were involved in the CIA story last year were traced. AP`s CEO called these tracings `unprecedented` and `overboard` in his letter to US Attorney General Eric Holder.
News organizations are given a notice in advance when the government seeks such information. The AP CEO claimed that the government was obligated to look for alternative ways to get the information rather than intruding the freedom of press directly.
The US Attorney General`s Office, however, insisted that it took the obligations seriously about following the applicable laws and seeking alternative means for information procurement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE:CM Fadnavis thanks people of Maharashtra for 'huge' victory as BJP clinches 81 seats; Shiv Sena 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway