US ground forces to be sent to Poland: Report
Washington: Poland`s defense minister has said US ground forces will be sent to his country to expand NATO`s presence there as events unfold in neighboring Ukraine, The Washington Post reported.
Tomasz Siemoniak told the Post Friday that details were already being worked out and that Poland would play a leading regional role "under US patronage" in the plan expected to be announced next week.
He added that US ground troops would also likely be sent to the Baltic states, under the push to increase NATO`s presence in Central and Eastern Europe.
Pentagon spokesman Rear Admiral John Kirby meanwhile said a range of measures were being considered to bolster air, maritime and ground readiness in Europe.
"Some of those activities will be pursued bilaterally with individual NATO nations. Some will be pursued through the Alliance itself."
Siemoniak said it was still too soon to know if an agreement on the Ukraine crisis thrashed out in Geneva Thursday would ameliorate tension in the region. The deal is the first sign of progress between Russia and the West in a months-long standoff.
During a Thursday news conference with US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel, Siemoniak stopped short of calling for the establishment of US military bases, as requested by the conservative Polish opposition.
But, said Hagel, "there may be some new opportunities for rotational-basis forces."
Hagel also reassured NATO members such as the Baltic states and Poland that Washington was "fully" committed to making sure their territory is respected, in accordance with NATO obligations.
Since the start of the Ukraine crisis, the Pentagon has sent 12 F-16 fighter jets and their support teams to Poland.
Hagel said the planes would stay there until the end of the year, as he called on other European NATO members to contribute reinforcements.
Since the end of the Cold War, NATO has balked at setting up bases in members states that once belonged to the Soviet bloc, in an effort to avoid angering Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre