US gun lobby opposes universal background checks
Washington: The National Rifle Association`s executive vice president continued to oppose background checks for all gun purchases despite polls indicating that most members of the influential gun rights lobbying group don`t share his position.
The NRA`s Wayne LaPierre said on "Fox News Sunday" that background checks for all gun purchases would lead to a national registry of gun owners. Critics say such a registry could lead to taxes on guns or to confiscation.
Mark Kelly, a gun owner and husband of Gabrielle Giffords, the former Arizona congresswoman who survived a 2011 mass shooting, asked LaPierre to listen to his members. He said the current system prevented 1.7 million gun purchases since 1999.
However, those potential buyers had other options because many gun sales don`t require a background check.
"Members of the NRA tend to be very reasonable on this issue," said Kelly, who also appeared on the Fox show.
As Congress responds to the spate of mass shootings in recent years, most notably the December massacre of 20 children and six educators at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, President Barack Obama and some lawmakers are calling for a ban on certain semi-automatic weapons and on high-capacity ammunition magazines.
However, calls for expanding background checks appear to have gained the most bipartisan support.
LaPierre said that requiring checks for all gun purchases would be a bureaucratic nightmare.
"It`s going to affect only the law-abiding people," he said. "Criminals could care less.
LaPierre was pressed about his contention that gun checks would lead to a national registry, when no one from the Obama administration is calling for that.
"And Obamacare wasn`t a tax until they needed it to be a tax," LaPierre said, referring to the president`s health care overhaul.
Kelly and LaPierre agreed on one point: More people seeking to buy guns illegally should be prosecuted.
"They should be prosecuted and there should be stiff penalties," Kelly said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what