US hails ICC warrants on Gaddafi
Washington: The United States said Monday the International Criminal Court (ICC) announcement of arrest warrants for Libya`s Moammer Gaddafi shows the need for justice is "absolutely" clear.
"The actions of the security forces and the Gaddafi regime that are highlighted in the court`s decision underscored the gravity of what we`ve been witnessing," State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said.
"In the face of these crimes of this kind of magnitude and this gravity, the need for justice is absolutely clear," Nuland told reporters.
The US "believes that the decision to refer the case to the ICC was the right decision, that the ICC has spoken now about the need for justice and accountability," she added.
As to whether the court decision will help or hurt efforts to force Gaddafi to step down, she said, "it doesn`t change the fact that Gaddafi has got to take the message that it`s time to go."
War crimes judges issued the three warrants for Gaddafi and two of his closest allies for crimes against humanity committed against opponents of his regime, a judge at The Hague-based ICC said.
"The chamber hereby issue a warrant of arrest against Moamer Gaddafi ," Judge Sanji Mmasenono Monageng said during a hearing.
The ICC chief prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo had asked for warrants for Gaddafi , 69, his son Seif al-Islam, 39, and the head of Libyan intelligence, Abdullah al-Senussi, 62, for murder and persecution since mid-February when a bloody uprising in Libya started.
All three are charged over their roles in suppressing the revolt, in which civilians were murdered and persecuted by Libyan forces, particularly in Tripoli, Benghazi and Misrata, the prosecutor said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered