US: Haley calls her accuser `racist, sexist bigot`
Washington: South Carolina`s Indian-American Governor Nikki Haley has called a fellow Republican who has accused her of ethics violations "racist, sexist bigot who has tried everything in his power to hurt me and my family”, according to media reports.
In her surprise testimony before a House ethics panel on Thursday, Haley said that at her only meeting with powerful fund raiser John Rainey, while she was running for governor, he was demanding and demeaning, and she told her staff she did not want any campaign contributions from him, South Carolina`s thestate.com reported.
"He wanted me to prove certain things so that if I took the oath, they wouldn`t find out later that my family was related to terrorists," Haley said. "I`m still very offended by that," she was quoted as saying.
Denying that she had done anything wrong, Haley, the first governor ever to appear before a South Carolina House ethics committee hearing, said: "I just want the truth out there."
"I know exactly what my frame of mind was. I know exactly what actions I took. I know the situations that were at hand. I have done nothing wrong. I`ve done nothing wrong," she said.
Rainey, who has accused her of illegally lobbying on behalf of a hospital and an engineering firm while she was a House member from 2005 to 2010, declined to comment on Thursday, thestate.com said.
However, one of his attorneys said Thursday`s hearing was a "farce”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'