US has double standards on human rights: Iran
Tehran: Iran has accused the US of having a "politicised and double-standard approach" over the issue of human rights.
Earlier this month, the US State Department released its annual human rights report in which it accused countries such as Iran of clamping down on rights activities.
The US is one of the "violators of the most basic principles of human rights and international law," Xinhua quoted Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson Ramin Mehmanparast as saying Monday.
He was reacting to the US human rights report by alluding to "the establishment of illegal and extraterritorial detention centres, torture and human rights violations in Guantanamo prison, and the killing of civilians in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan".
"It would be better for the US government to be responsible for its human rights performance instead of continuing with its wrong and repetitious behaviour of accusing other countries," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees