US has double standards on human rights: Iran
Tehran: Iran has accused the US of having a "politicised and double-standard approach" over the issue of human rights.
Earlier this month, the US State Department released its annual human rights report in which it accused countries such as Iran of clamping down on rights activities.
The US is one of the "violators of the most basic principles of human rights and international law," Xinhua quoted Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson Ramin Mehmanparast as saying Monday.
He was reacting to the US human rights report by alluding to "the establishment of illegal and extraterritorial detention centres, torture and human rights violations in Guantanamo prison, and the killing of civilians in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan".
"It would be better for the US government to be responsible for its human rights performance instead of continuing with its wrong and repetitious behaviour of accusing other countries," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM