US has double standards on human rights: Iran
Tehran: Iran has accused the US of having a "politicised and double-standard approach" over the issue of human rights.
Earlier this month, the US State Department released its annual human rights report in which it accused countries such as Iran of clamping down on rights activities.
The US is one of the "violators of the most basic principles of human rights and international law," Xinhua quoted Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson Ramin Mehmanparast as saying Monday.
He was reacting to the US human rights report by alluding to "the establishment of illegal and extraterritorial detention centres, torture and human rights violations in Guantanamo prison, and the killing of civilians in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan".
"It would be better for the US government to be responsible for its human rights performance instead of continuing with its wrong and repetitious behaviour of accusing other countries," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'