US has double standards on human rights: Iran
Tehran: Iran has accused the US of having a "politicised and double-standard approach" over the issue of human rights.
Earlier this month, the US State Department released its annual human rights report in which it accused countries such as Iran of clamping down on rights activities.
The US is one of the "violators of the most basic principles of human rights and international law," Xinhua quoted Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson Ramin Mehmanparast as saying Monday.
He was reacting to the US human rights report by alluding to "the establishment of illegal and extraterritorial detention centres, torture and human rights violations in Guantanamo prison, and the killing of civilians in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan".
"It would be better for the US government to be responsible for its human rights performance instead of continuing with its wrong and repetitious behaviour of accusing other countries," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Rio Olympics after-effects: Marathon runner OP Jaisha also tests positive for H1N1; hospitalised
- Hyderabad varsity JAC condemns judicial commission report
- Hillary Clinton says Donald Trump is taking far-right hate groups `mainstream`
- John Kerry arrives in Geneva for Syria talks with Lavrov
- Three killed in apparent crossbow attack in Canada