US has double standards on human rights: Iran
Tehran: Iran has accused the US of having a "politicised and double-standard approach" over the issue of human rights.
Earlier this month, the US State Department released its annual human rights report in which it accused countries such as Iran of clamping down on rights activities.
The US is one of the "violators of the most basic principles of human rights and international law," Xinhua quoted Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson Ramin Mehmanparast as saying Monday.
He was reacting to the US human rights report by alluding to "the establishment of illegal and extraterritorial detention centres, torture and human rights violations in Guantanamo prison, and the killing of civilians in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan".
"It would be better for the US government to be responsible for its human rights performance instead of continuing with its wrong and repetitious behaviour of accusing other countries," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert