US has over a million gangsters
New York: More than one million people, mostly youth, are involved in gangs in the US, say official statistics.
According to a Department of Justice report, there were around 800,000 gangsters in 2005, which increased to over one million in 2008, Prensa Latina news agency reported.
Estimates showed that some 900,000 are active, while more than 145,000 are imprisoned in jails across the country.
In New York, there were about 20,000 criminals in 2009.
Los Angeles is considered the capital of such groups in the country. In this city there are frequent shootings and clashes over control of areas and drug trade, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest