US helping French with intel on Mali: Panetta
Aboard a US Military Aircraft: Defence Secretary Leon Panetta says the US is providing intelligence-gathering assistance to the French in their assault on Islamist extremists in Mali.
Speaking to reporters traveling with him to Europe, Panetta said that while al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb and other affiliate groups in Mali may not pose an immediate threat to the United States, "ultimately, that remains their objective."
A senior US official said talks were continuing to determine what other aid will be provided. The official was not authorized to speak publicly about the issue and requested anonymity.
Panetta`s comments came as the French continued bombing raids across Mali`s north in an effort to root out extremists who seized control of a large chunk of the region about nine months ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch