US helping French with intel on Mali: Panetta
Aboard a US Military Aircraft: Defence Secretary Leon Panetta says the US is providing intelligence-gathering assistance to the French in their assault on Islamist extremists in Mali.
Speaking to reporters traveling with him to Europe, Panetta said that while al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb and other affiliate groups in Mali may not pose an immediate threat to the United States, "ultimately, that remains their objective."
A senior US official said talks were continuing to determine what other aid will be provided. The official was not authorized to speak publicly about the issue and requested anonymity.
Panetta`s comments came as the French continued bombing raids across Mali`s north in an effort to root out extremists who seized control of a large chunk of the region about nine months ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly