US helping French with intel on Mali: Panetta
Aboard a US Military Aircraft: Defence Secretary Leon Panetta says the US is providing intelligence-gathering assistance to the French in their assault on Islamist extremists in Mali.
Speaking to reporters traveling with him to Europe, Panetta said that while al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb and other affiliate groups in Mali may not pose an immediate threat to the United States, "ultimately, that remains their objective."
A senior US official said talks were continuing to determine what other aid will be provided. The official was not authorized to speak publicly about the issue and requested anonymity.
Panetta`s comments came as the French continued bombing raids across Mali`s north in an effort to root out extremists who seized control of a large chunk of the region about nine months ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill