US high court rejects Obama citizenship case
Washington: The US Supreme Court refused on Monday to take up the question of President Barack Obama`s citizenship, which a core group of sceptics continues to challenge despite presentation of his US birth certificate.
The high court, without comment, rejected the request by Orly Taitz, a California lawyer who has emerged as a leader of the "birther" movement of mainly rightwing protesters who question where Obama was born.
She had asked the court to annul a federal judge`s USD 20,000 penalty for filing a "frivolous lawsuit" by her client, a US soldier who refused to deploy to Iraq because she viewed the commander in chief as illegitimate.
The US Constitution allows only "natural born" Americans to be elected to the presidency. Obama was born on August 04, 1961 in the US state of Hawaii.
Judge Clay Land in the southeast state of Georgia determined in October 2009 that Taitz`s pursuit of the case was "breathtaking in its arrogance and borders on delusional”, and scolded her for expressing "no contrition or regret regarding her misconduct”.
She had filed a stay of deployment request on behalf of Captain Connie Rhodes, a US Army medic who challenged Obama`s legitimacy as president. When Land threw the case out, Taitz publicly branded it "an act of treason”.
In her petition before the Supreme Court, Taitz asked: "Is the whole nation de facto reduced to the level of slaves or serfs when one without valid vital records, without social security number of his own and without a valid long form of birth certificate is able to get in the position of President?"
On Monday, Taitz said she would not let the case rest.
"I will file a motion for reconsideration," she said on her website, adding that she has "evidence of highly suspicious activity in several federal courts."
"If we don`t clean up corruption in the judiciary, in the White House, citizens of this country will have no trust in the system and will take justice in their own hands. This is dangerous," she wrote.
According to a survey early last year of 2,000 Republicans, 36 percent said they believed Obama, the country`s first African-American president, was not born in the United States.
Several complaints on the subject have been filed in various US courts but the motions have been rejected, although Obama`s arch-conservative opponents continue to level the unsubstantiated charges.
Last week during a symbolic reading of the US Constitution in the House of Representatives, a woman screamed out "Except Obama! Except Obama!" when a lawmaker read the passage that spells out requirements for becoming president.
Hawaii has published the birth certificate of Barack Hussein Obama, which states he was born August 04, 1961 at 7:24 pm in the maternity ward of Kapiolani hospital in Honolulu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow