US hikes surveillance on Pakistan border
Washington: The top US military commander in Afghanistan says the US has increased its surveillance over the Afghan-Pakistani border since Pakistan began pounding a militant stronghold with airstrikes, but so far officials have not seen any militants fleeing the latest offensive.
marine gen joseph dunford told the associated press in an interview that us was not coordinating military operations with pakistan along border, but officials have increased amount of intelligence-sharing afghans. he said afghan troops and forces region were ready for any effects strikes, including extremists seeking refuge afghanistan.
the has long pressed to root out taliban militants who found safe haven lawless tribal north waziristan, used it as a staging area launch attacks against nato afghanistan. seen pakistani families crossing border escape airstrikes pounded country`s northwest since sunday.
"the well our are fully prepared deal second-order waziristan," from afghanistan.
he added still trying determine how many fled into afghanistan violence, difficult because relocate southeast northeast.
More broadly, Dunford expressed increased confidence in the Afghan security forces, and said he did not believe that the military collapse playing out in Iraq would occur in Afghanistan once US combat troops leave.
he said the us fully expects to get a bilateral security agreement with afghanistan`s government that will allow up 14,000 and nato troops remain in country next year advise afghans conduct counter terrorism missions.
The US left Iraq after the government in Baghdad refused to agree on a security arrangement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees