US hits 18 with sanctions over dead Russian lawyer
Washington: The US imposed sanctions on 18 people from Russia, Ukraine, Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan on Friday in reaction to Moscow`s handling of the case of dead human rights lawyer Sergei Magnitsky.
The US Treasury sanctions, which freeze a person`s assets and ban Americans from doing business with them, came as Washington presses Moscow over the case of Magnitsky, who died in 2009 after spending 11 months in Russian prisons.
"The November 2009 death of Russian lawyer Sergei Magnitsky in pre-trial detention in Moscow was a tragedy, and the investigation into his death has yielded no visible result," a senior US official said today.
"Russian officials implicated directly in Magnitsky`s imprisonment and prison officials directly involved in the series of decisions that led to his death remain unpunished."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar