US honours Delhi gang-rape victim, says she inspired millions
Washington: Nirbhaya, the "fearless" victim of a gang rape in a Delhi bus, who became the focus of women around India and their fight against gender-based violence, was honoured Friday with a posthumous US "woman of courage" award.
US first lady Michelle Obama joined secretary of state John Kerry as he presented nine women the annual award recognizing women around the globe who have shown exceptional courage and leadership in advocating for women`s rights and empowerment, often at great personal risk.
At the State Department presentation ceremony on International Women`s Day, Kerry praised the determination and courage of "a woman known simply as Nirbhaya - brave heart, fearless."
The audience stood up and observed a moment of silence after he read out the citation.
"Nirbhaya boarded a bus in Delhi last December where she was brutally gang-raped, tossed away, left to die. But she kept fighting," Kerry said. "As Nirbhaya fought for her life, she fought for justice and gave detailed accounts of her attack used to arrest her rapists."
"Nirbhaya`s fight survives her. With great sadness, we honour Nirbhaya as a woman of exceptional courage," Kerry said. "Nirbhaya`s bravery inspired millions with simple message: No more looking the other way when gender-based violence happens."
Nirbhaya "Fearless," champion for justice (India) "has become the foundation of a popular movement to end violence against women in India," the State Department said.
"For millions of Indian women, her personal ordeal, perseverance to fight for justice, and her family`s continued bravery is helping to lift the stigma and vulnerability that drive violence against women," it said.
The awardees for 2013 besides Nirbhaya are Malalai Bahaduri, first sergeant, Afghan National Interdiction Unit (Afghanistan); Julieta Castellanos, rector, National Autonomous University of Honduras (Honduras); Josephine Obiajulu Odumakin, president, Campaign for Democracy (Nigeria); Elena Milashina, journalist, human rights activist (Russia); Fartuun Adan, executive director, Elman Peace and Human Rights Centre (Somalia); Tsering Woeser (Wei Se), Tibetan author, poet, blogger (China); Razan Zeitunah, human rights lawyer and founder, Local Coordination Committees (Syria) and
Ta Phong Tan, blogger (Vietnam).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'