US hopes intl community would implement UN resolution on Libya
Washington: Amidst reports that countries
like Zimbabwe and Chad were supplying mercenaries to Libya`s
leader Muammar Gaddafi, US hopes the international community
would strictly implement the UN Security Council sanctions on
the authoritarian Libyan regime.
"UN Security Council resolution passed on Saturday was
very clear that there is an arms embargo and that includes not
only its prohibited to provide any kind of arms; it`s also
prohibited to allow the transit of mercenaries have been
responsible for much of the violence that has occurred up to
this point," State Department spokesman P J Crowley, said.
"It also authorises states to inspect suspicious cargo
that may contain arms. So very strong and clear
responsibilities by the international community, including
countries like Zimbabwe, and we obviously insist that
countries respect and heed their obligations," Crowley said
when asked about reports in this regard.
"We have a range of options available to us. Our focus
right now is on the humanitarian situation and finding ways to
stop the violence and stop bloodshed, and we will do whatever
we think is prudent and appropriate to reach those
objectives," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof