US House condemns Sikh Gurdwara shooting
Washington: In a bipartisan show of solidarity with the Sikhs, the US House of Representatives has unanimously passed a resolution condemning the Wisconsin Gurdwara shooting that left six worshippers dead last month.
Condemning the "senseless attack" at the Gurdwara on August 5, the resolution which was introduced last week by Republican vice presidential candidate Congressman Paul Ryan offers condolences to the families, friends and loved ones who were killed in the attack.
It also honors the selfless, dedicated service of the emergency response teams and law enforcement officials who responded to the attack.
Co-sponsored by Congressman Ed Royce, Co-Chair of the Congressional Caucus on India and Indian Americans, and seven other lawmakers, the resolution remains hopeful that the citizens of this country will come together united in a shared desire for peace and justice while standing with the Sikh community to grieve the loss of life.
"With its passage, the US House of Representatives has now made an important statement," Royce said following the unanimous passage of the Congressional resolution.
Other co-sponsors to the resolution were Congressmen Tammy Baldwin; Sean Duffy; Ron Kind; Gwen Moore, Thomas E Petri; Reid J Ribble; and F James Sensenbrenner.
"I was horrified by the shootings, which unfolded in a place of worship. Women, children, elderly, all present. Over the years, I`ve had the opportunity to work closely with the Sikh community, which has made countless contributions to our country," Royce said.
"While this resolution might not ease the pain of those affected by this tragedy, it does display our commitment to religious tolerance, to show that we denounce hate-inspired violence," he said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez