US House condemns Sikh Gurdwara shooting
Washington: In a bipartisan show of solidarity with the Sikhs, the US House of Representatives has unanimously passed a resolution condemning the Wisconsin Gurdwara shooting that left six worshippers dead last month.
Condemning the "senseless attack" at the Gurdwara on August 5, the resolution which was introduced last week by Republican vice presidential candidate Congressman Paul Ryan offers condolences to the families, friends and loved ones who were killed in the attack.
It also honors the selfless, dedicated service of the emergency response teams and law enforcement officials who responded to the attack.
Co-sponsored by Congressman Ed Royce, Co-Chair of the Congressional Caucus on India and Indian Americans, and seven other lawmakers, the resolution remains hopeful that the citizens of this country will come together united in a shared desire for peace and justice while standing with the Sikh community to grieve the loss of life.
"With its passage, the US House of Representatives has now made an important statement," Royce said following the unanimous passage of the Congressional resolution.
Other co-sponsors to the resolution were Congressmen Tammy Baldwin; Sean Duffy; Ron Kind; Gwen Moore, Thomas E Petri; Reid J Ribble; and F James Sensenbrenner.
"I was horrified by the shootings, which unfolded in a place of worship. Women, children, elderly, all present. Over the years, I`ve had the opportunity to work closely with the Sikh community, which has made countless contributions to our country," Royce said.
"While this resolution might not ease the pain of those affected by this tragedy, it does display our commitment to religious tolerance, to show that we denounce hate-inspired violence," he said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win