US House condemns Sikh Gurdwara shooting
Washington: In a bipartisan show of solidarity with the Sikhs, the US House of Representatives has unanimously passed a resolution condemning the Wisconsin Gurdwara shooting that left six worshippers dead last month.
Condemning the "senseless attack" at the Gurdwara on August 5, the resolution which was introduced last week by Republican vice presidential candidate Congressman Paul Ryan offers condolences to the families, friends and loved ones who were killed in the attack.
It also honors the selfless, dedicated service of the emergency response teams and law enforcement officials who responded to the attack.
Co-sponsored by Congressman Ed Royce, Co-Chair of the Congressional Caucus on India and Indian Americans, and seven other lawmakers, the resolution remains hopeful that the citizens of this country will come together united in a shared desire for peace and justice while standing with the Sikh community to grieve the loss of life.
"With its passage, the US House of Representatives has now made an important statement," Royce said following the unanimous passage of the Congressional resolution.
Other co-sponsors to the resolution were Congressmen Tammy Baldwin; Sean Duffy; Ron Kind; Gwen Moore, Thomas E Petri; Reid J Ribble; and F James Sensenbrenner.
"I was horrified by the shootings, which unfolded in a place of worship. Women, children, elderly, all present. Over the years, I`ve had the opportunity to work closely with the Sikh community, which has made countless contributions to our country," Royce said.
"While this resolution might not ease the pain of those affected by this tragedy, it does display our commitment to religious tolerance, to show that we denounce hate-inspired violence," he said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced