US House passes bill to ban abortion after 20 weeks
Washington: The Republican-controlled US House of Representatives has approved a legislation to ban abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy, one of the most stringent pro-life bills to pass a Congressional chamber in a decade.
However, the bill is unlikely to see the light of the day given the veto threat by the White House and the opposition to it by the Democratic Party, which has a majority in the Senate.
For any legislation to be formed into a law, it needs to be passed by both the chambers of the Congress - he House of Representatives and the Senate - and signed into law by the United States President.
The Democratic National Committee chair, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, said Republican Party in the House is once again attempting to force their extremist ideology on American women.
"Today, House Republicans passed the most extreme abortion legislation that Congress has passed in the last decade," she said.
The House Democratic Whip Steny H Hoyer expressed his deep disappointment over the passage of the bill.
"I am deeply disappointed that Republicans once again spent time debating and voting on a bill to restrict women`s access to health care when they continue to block the consideration of bills that would invest in creating jobs and replace the sequester with a balanced alternative," he said.
"Their governing priorities are as out of touch as their approach to women`s health. This bill, which is unconstitutional, has no chance of being considered in the Senate or reaching the President`s desk," Hoyer said.
However, the House Majority leader, Eric Cantor said the House acted to protect life and stop the dangerous practice of late-term abortions.
"This bipartisan measure will protect unborn children who can experience pain after 5 months. We must stand together, Republicans and Democrats alike, to protect the most vulnerable among us, especially these mothers and their innocent children," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation