US House resolution for tracking hate crimes
Washington: Seven members of the US House of Representatives have introduced a resolution condemning hate crimes against Sikh Americans and supporting the community`s demand that the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) track such crimes.
The House resolution was introduced even as Senator Dianne Feinstein, the Democratic chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee, circulated a letter to her colleagues in the US Senate, urging them to support Sikh hate crime tracking, the Sikh coalition said on Tuesday.
The community organisation also asked supporters to send an online petition letter to members of Congress and Senators, urging them to support these important initiatives and share it with others through social media like Facebook and Twitter.
Signing this petition letter is a meaningful and important action in the wake of the August 05 attack on an Oak Creek, Wisconsin, Gurdwara, killing six worshippers and wounding three, the Sikh Coalition said.
The House resolution is being spearheaded by Joseph Crowley, Bill Pascrell, Howard Berman, Judy Chu, Nita Lowey, Keith Ellison and Pete Stark.
Among other things, the attacks of August 05 underscore the need for the FBI to document hate crimes against Sikhs, the community body said.
"The Sikh Coalition believes that it is impossible to understand or address a problem unless it is being accurately measured," it said. "Together we can ensure that the FBI collects accurate data about hate crimes against our community."
Earlier this year, Crowley led a similar effort, which garnered support from over 90 members of the House of Representatives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured