`US hypersonic weapons threat to Russia`
Moscow: The US’ research into hypersonic weapons, which Washington aims to complete by 2015, represents an especially serious threat to Russia, acting Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said on Friday.
"This breakthrough decision by the US opens up for them the prospect of a transition from a demonstrator prototype to creation of a multirole hypersonic missile by 2015-2018," Rogozin said.
Rogozin is responsible for the state-owned Raduga Bereznyak missile design bureau in Moscow.
The minister picked out the X-51, Falcon, HiFire and HyFly programmes as examples of the perspective threat posed by hypersonic development work.
"The undertaking of this work allows us to lay the basis for creation of a national competitor in hypersonic weapons," he said.
Development of such a weapon should be discussed at the highest levels of state, he said.
India has also announced a joint project with Russia`s NPO Mashinostroeniye missile producer to build a hypersonic successor to its BrahMos supersonic cruise missile.
During the Soviet era, Raduga and NPO Mashinostroeniye both carried out research work in hypersonic weapons but did not produce a working weapon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof