`US hypersonic weapons threat to Russia`
Moscow: The US’ research into hypersonic weapons, which Washington aims to complete by 2015, represents an especially serious threat to Russia, acting Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said on Friday.
"This breakthrough decision by the US opens up for them the prospect of a transition from a demonstrator prototype to creation of a multirole hypersonic missile by 2015-2018," Rogozin said.
Rogozin is responsible for the state-owned Raduga Bereznyak missile design bureau in Moscow.
The minister picked out the X-51, Falcon, HiFire and HyFly programmes as examples of the perspective threat posed by hypersonic development work.
"The undertaking of this work allows us to lay the basis for creation of a national competitor in hypersonic weapons," he said.
Development of such a weapon should be discussed at the highest levels of state, he said.
India has also announced a joint project with Russia`s NPO Mashinostroeniye missile producer to build a hypersonic successor to its BrahMos supersonic cruise missile.
During the Soviet era, Raduga and NPO Mashinostroeniye both carried out research work in hypersonic weapons but did not produce a working weapon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP