US imposes sanctions on Hezbollah leaders
Washington: The US on Thursday slapped fresh sanctions on three leaders of Lebanese militant group Hezbollah for their alleged role in aiding the Syrian government in its crackdown on opposition forces, the Wall Street Journal reported.
The US Treasury formally charged Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah, and two other members of the organisation -- Mustafa Badr Al-Din and Talal Hamiyah -- of supporting Syrian President Bashar al-Assad`s forces by providing training and logistical support.
The Treasury said Hezbollah has helped Damascus monitor and control the movements of opposition fighters from the Free Syrian Army.
"By aiding Assad`s violent campaign against the Syrian people and working to support a regime that will inevitably fall, Hezbollah`s ongoing activity undermines regional stability and poses a direct threat to Lebanon`s security," the Wall Street Journal quoted Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence David Cohen as saying.
"Hezbollah`s actions, overseen by Hassan Nasrallah and executed by Mustafa Badr Al-Din and Talal Hamiyah, clearly reveal its true nature as a terrorist and criminal organisation," Cohen said.
The sanctions bar Americans from doing business with the three Hezbollah members and freezes any assets they might have in the US, the report said.
Hezbollah has long been on the US terrorism list.
The Obama administration has intensified its scrutiny of the Lebanese financial sector in recent months, concerned that Hezbollah may be using banks in the country to launder proceeds from narcotics smuggling. Hezbollah has denied any role in narcotics trafficking.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read