US imposes sanctions on Hezbollah leaders
Washington: The US on Thursday slapped fresh sanctions on three leaders of Lebanese militant group Hezbollah for their alleged role in aiding the Syrian government in its crackdown on opposition forces, the Wall Street Journal reported.
The US Treasury formally charged Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah, and two other members of the organisation -- Mustafa Badr Al-Din and Talal Hamiyah -- of supporting Syrian President Bashar al-Assad`s forces by providing training and logistical support.
The Treasury said Hezbollah has helped Damascus monitor and control the movements of opposition fighters from the Free Syrian Army.
"By aiding Assad`s violent campaign against the Syrian people and working to support a regime that will inevitably fall, Hezbollah`s ongoing activity undermines regional stability and poses a direct threat to Lebanon`s security," the Wall Street Journal quoted Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence David Cohen as saying.
"Hezbollah`s actions, overseen by Hassan Nasrallah and executed by Mustafa Badr Al-Din and Talal Hamiyah, clearly reveal its true nature as a terrorist and criminal organisation," Cohen said.
The sanctions bar Americans from doing business with the three Hezbollah members and freezes any assets they might have in the US, the report said.
Hezbollah has long been on the US terrorism list.
The Obama administration has intensified its scrutiny of the Lebanese financial sector in recent months, concerned that Hezbollah may be using banks in the country to launder proceeds from narcotics smuggling. Hezbollah has denied any role in narcotics trafficking.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM