US imposes sanctions on Uganda over anti-gay law
Washington: The US Thursday slapped a number of sanctions on Uganda over an anti-homosexuality law that Washington says "runs counter to universal human rights".
The State Department is banning entry into the US by certain Ugandan officials involved in "serious human rights abuses", Caitlin Hayden, spokeswoman for White House National Security Council was quoted as saying.
Ugandans who are "found responsible for significant public corruption" are also banned from entering the US, she added.
In addition, the US is discontinuing or redirecting funds for programmes involving Ugandan police force and health ministry, and canceling plans to hold a US military-sponsored aviation exercise in Uganda, the official added.
Defying tough opposition from the US and other countries, Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni signed the Anti- Homosexuality Bill into law in February, citing that there is no scientific proof that people are homosexuals by genetics.
Under the law, those who are found guilty of homosexual acts will be jailed up to 14 years, a sentence that increases to life imprisonment in "aggravated" cases, such as those committed by an HIV positive person, or those involving minors, the disabled and serious offenders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister