US imposes sanctions on Uganda over anti-gay law
Washington: The US Thursday slapped a number of sanctions on Uganda over an anti-homosexuality law that Washington says "runs counter to universal human rights".
The State Department is banning entry into the US by certain Ugandan officials involved in "serious human rights abuses", Caitlin Hayden, spokeswoman for White House National Security Council was quoted as saying.
Ugandans who are "found responsible for significant public corruption" are also banned from entering the US, she added.
In addition, the US is discontinuing or redirecting funds for programmes involving Ugandan police force and health ministry, and canceling plans to hold a US military-sponsored aviation exercise in Uganda, the official added.
Defying tough opposition from the US and other countries, Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni signed the Anti- Homosexuality Bill into law in February, citing that there is no scientific proof that people are homosexuals by genetics.
Under the law, those who are found guilty of homosexual acts will be jailed up to 14 years, a sentence that increases to life imprisonment in "aggravated" cases, such as those committed by an HIV positive person, or those involving minors, the disabled and serious offenders.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know