US initiates massive probe into Benghazi attack
Washington: The US has launched a massive probe, involving several agencies including the FBI, to find out who was behind the attack on its consulate in Benghazi that resulted in the killing of the US ambassador to Libya.
State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said on Thursday that investigation had begun and till then it would be better to refrain from speculating any possible involvement of al Qaeda or its affiliated groups in the incident.
"I can`t draw any conclusions as to who and how they were affiliated. We just can`t do that right now, and we won`t until we have more information.”
"What I would say is that as you have probably seen, what we`re seeing on social media, what we`re seeing in some of the local commentary is largely related to this reprehensible video," Nuland told reporters at her daily news conference.
She was responding to a question on whether there is any indication or possibility of al Qaeda sympathisers involved in the Benghazi attacks.
The Libyan Government, meanwhile, is conducting its own investigation.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation too has been involved in the probe.
"The FBI always becomes involved when Americans -- official Americans are killed. It has opened its own investigation into the death of these four US citizens and the attack on the consulate, on the mission," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble