US initiates massive probe into Benghazi attack
Washington: The US has launched a massive probe, involving several agencies including the FBI, to find out who was behind the attack on its consulate in Benghazi that resulted in the killing of the US ambassador to Libya.
State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said on Thursday that investigation had begun and till then it would be better to refrain from speculating any possible involvement of al Qaeda or its affiliated groups in the incident.
"I can`t draw any conclusions as to who and how they were affiliated. We just can`t do that right now, and we won`t until we have more information.”
"What I would say is that as you have probably seen, what we`re seeing on social media, what we`re seeing in some of the local commentary is largely related to this reprehensible video," Nuland told reporters at her daily news conference.
She was responding to a question on whether there is any indication or possibility of al Qaeda sympathisers involved in the Benghazi attacks.
The Libyan Government, meanwhile, is conducting its own investigation.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation too has been involved in the probe.
"The FBI always becomes involved when Americans -- official Americans are killed. It has opened its own investigation into the death of these four US citizens and the attack on the consulate, on the mission," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion