US initiates massive probe into Benghazi attack
Washington: The US has launched a massive probe, involving several agencies including the FBI, to find out who was behind the attack on its consulate in Benghazi that resulted in the killing of the US ambassador to Libya.
State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said on Thursday that investigation had begun and till then it would be better to refrain from speculating any possible involvement of al Qaeda or its affiliated groups in the incident.
"I can`t draw any conclusions as to who and how they were affiliated. We just can`t do that right now, and we won`t until we have more information.”
"What I would say is that as you have probably seen, what we`re seeing on social media, what we`re seeing in some of the local commentary is largely related to this reprehensible video," Nuland told reporters at her daily news conference.
She was responding to a question on whether there is any indication or possibility of al Qaeda sympathisers involved in the Benghazi attacks.
The Libyan Government, meanwhile, is conducting its own investigation.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation too has been involved in the probe.
"The FBI always becomes involved when Americans -- official Americans are killed. It has opened its own investigation into the death of these four US citizens and the attack on the consulate, on the mission," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says