US intensifies efforts in call for Iran sanctions
Washington: Secretary of State Hillary
Clinton made calls to a number of world leaders over the
weekend as the Obama Administration intensified its effort to
get the UN Security Council slapped fresh sanctions against
Iran as soon as possible.
"The (US) President wants this done as rapidly as
possible. We all do," the Assistant Secretary of State for
Public Affairs, P J Crowley, told reporters.
At present, the US is leading negotiations with the
members of the Security Council on this issue in New York.
"There are meetings still going on in New York, and we
want to see this wrapped up quickly. (There has) been a great
deal of global engagement. The Secretary (of State) had a
number of calls over the weekend to world leaders," Crowley
"So we are actively engaged with a wide range of
countries to seek a strong sanctions resolution as quickly as
we can get it done," he said in response to a question.
"We are actively engaged in New York in a variety of
different groupings to reach a conclusion on the particulars
of a resolution, and we want to get this done as soon as
possible," he added.
Responding to a question, Crowley said Iran needs to
come forward and answer the questions the international
community has about its nuclear programme.
"We envisioned the Tehran research reactor proposal
as a useful step to build some confidence to show that Iran
was willing to engage seriously. They have not," he said.
"They have not formally come back to the IAEA with
any kind of response on the proposal," he said when asked
about the meeting between the Iranian Foreign Minister and the
"The proposal that was made last fall would need to be
updated in light of the fact that Iran has been processing
additional fuel since September.
But if they wish to engage seriously on this
arrangement, which we think is in Iran`s interest and
potentially can be an important step, we`re all ears," Crowley
"But Iran has had many months to come forward and has
failed to seriously address the issue that was put on the
table last fall," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'