`US intent on pursuing WikiLeaks’ Julian Assange`
Sydney: United States prosecutors have drawn up secret charges against Julian Assange, and are intent on pursuing the Wikileaks founder, declassified diplomatic cables have revealed.
The Australian embassy in Washington has been tracking a US espionage investigation targeting Assange for more than 18 months.
The diplomatic cables, released under freedom of information legislation, showed Australia`s Ambassador, former Labor leader Kim Beazley, has made high level representations to the US government asking for advance warning of any moves to prosecute Assange.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the revelations are contrary to comments made by Foreign Affairs Minister Bob Carr, who has dismissed suggestions the US plans to eventually extradite Assange on charges of leaking US military and diplomatic documents.
He had repeatedly dismissed suggestions that the US has any interest in prosecuting and extraditing Assange.
However, the Australian embassy in Washington reported in February that “the US investigation into possible criminal conduct by Assange has been ongoing for more than a year”.
The embassy identified a wide range of criminal charges the US could bring against Assange, including espionage, conspiracy, unlawful access to classified information and computer fraud.
According to the paper, large sections of the released cables have been redacted on national security grounds, including parts of reports on the open pre-court martial proceedings of US Army Private Bradley Manning, who is alleged to have leaked a vast quantity of classified information to WikiLeaks.
Australian diplomats have highlighted the US military prosecution’s reference to ‘several connections between [Private] Manning and WikiLeaks which would form the basis of a conspiracy charge’ and evidence that the Justice Department’s investigation has targeted the ‘founders, owners, or managers of WikiLeaks’ for espionage, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why