US intercepts Iranian orders to Iraqi militia to retaliate for Syria attack
Washington: The United States has reportedly intercepted an Iranian order instructing Shiite militia groups in Iraq to attack the American Embassy in Baghdad if Bashar al-Assad`s regime is attacked in Syria.
CBS News reports that the intercepted message came from the head of Iran`s Qods Force, which is a paramilitary division of the country`s Revolutionary Guards.
A senior Asaib Ahl al-Haq official said multiple armed groups within Iraq were prepared to respond to any strike on Syria by attacking the missionaries and offices of the countries that participate in this strike, including the US
The official, who wanted to conceal his identity, said the Iraqi militias were awaiting instructions from Iran`s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, on the timing and method of the attacks.
Iraqi officials said they were taking the warnings seriously, the report added.
The threats came amid President Barack Obama`s administration undeterred decision of a possible military action in Syria over alleged use of chemical weapons on its citizens.
Iranian officials, however, denied plotting attacks against the US in Iraq, saying that the allegation was `baseless` and meant to provoke the Congress into authorizing a strike on Syria.
Iraq has been officially neutral on the Syrian civil war and has called for a negotiated political solution, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!