US intercepts Iranian orders to Iraqi militia to retaliate for Syria attack
Washington: The United States has reportedly intercepted an Iranian order instructing Shiite militia groups in Iraq to attack the American Embassy in Baghdad if Bashar al-Assad`s regime is attacked in Syria.
CBS News reports that the intercepted message came from the head of Iran`s Qods Force, which is a paramilitary division of the country`s Revolutionary Guards.
A senior Asaib Ahl al-Haq official said multiple armed groups within Iraq were prepared to respond to any strike on Syria by attacking the missionaries and offices of the countries that participate in this strike, including the US
The official, who wanted to conceal his identity, said the Iraqi militias were awaiting instructions from Iran`s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, on the timing and method of the attacks.
Iraqi officials said they were taking the warnings seriously, the report added.
The threats came amid President Barack Obama`s administration undeterred decision of a possible military action in Syria over alleged use of chemical weapons on its citizens.
Iranian officials, however, denied plotting attacks against the US in Iraq, saying that the allegation was `baseless` and meant to provoke the Congress into authorizing a strike on Syria.
Iraq has been officially neutral on the Syrian civil war and has called for a negotiated political solution, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- BJP to go it alone in UP Assembly polls, Ram temple not to be on poll agenda: Mahesh Sharma
- Thousands flee IS offensive in northern Syria: Monitor
- Flipkart effect: Startups may lose sheen in job market
- 'USD 100 for shaving beard: ISIS imposes new fines, taxes'
- WATCH: HILARIOUS! Is this the most unusual batting stance in world cricket?