US, Iraq sign deal to settle Saddam-era claims
Baghdad: The American Embassy spokesman in Iraq says States and Iraq have signed an agreement to settle claims of Americans who say they were abused the United by Saddam Hussein`s regime.
David Ranz gave no details Friday of the agreement, including who the specific claimants are or the dollar amount involved.
A number of Americans have sued Iraq for incidents that happened during Saddam`s more than 20 years in power, alleging abuse and mistreatment.
The Americans kept up their legal fight after Saddam was overthrown and a new government came to power.
Ranz said Iraq still has to go through several steps for the agreement to be finalized. If completed, it would represent a significant step forward for Iraq and an end to years of legal battles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- It's time for Muslims to rise and protest against some Hindutva forces: Azam Khan
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi