`US is not trying to contain China in Asia Pacific`
Washington: The US wants to build a healthy, transparent and sustainable relationship with China, and this is one of the main reasons for rebalancing the defence posture in the Asia Pacific region, a top Pentagon official said on Wednesday.
Deputy Secretary of Defence, Ashton Carter, told a Washington think-tank that the US was not trying to contain China in the region, rather, it was reaching out to the country.
"A key objective of our rebalance is to build a healthy, transparent and sustainable US-China defence relationship, one that supports a broader US-China relationship," he said at the Woodrow Wilson Centre.
Referring to the recent remarks of Defence Secretary, Leon Panetta that a strong and cooperative US-China partnership is essential for global security and prosperity in the 21st century, Carter said the US seeks to cooperate with China on a range of diplomatic, economic and security issues, including working closely with them to build an enduring foundation for a bilateral military-to-military relations.
"Recently our navies participated in a joint counter piracy exercise in the Gulf of Aden, off the coast of Somalia, an area of strategic and economic importance for both countries. The exercise helped us to build trust and gave our sailors a chance to work together," he said.
"And Secretary Panetta invited China to participate in the annual Rim of the Pacific Exercise, which is our largest multilateral maritime exercise. So our defence relationship with China is an essential part of our rebalance," he said.
At the same time, Carter insisted that its rebalance in the Asia Pacific region is not only about the United States or China.
"It`s not about any other individual country or group of countries. It`s about a peaceful Asia-Pacific region where all countries can enjoy the benefit of security and continue to prosper," he observed.
Carter strongly refuted the notion that the US is trying to contain China in the region.
"To those who have concerns, I`d say: Watch the steps. And the steps we want to take are ones that are cooperative. We`re reaching out".
The United States, he said, is trying to make the Chinese military a part of the security mix in the region.
"It`s been that environment in which these tremendous economic transformations of one Asian state after another can take place. We welcome that. We think that`s a good thing. We want to keep going with that. That`s what it`s all about," Carter said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!