`US, Israel behind cyber attack on Iran`s nuke project`
Washington: A damaging cyber attack against Iran`s nuclear programme was the work of US and Israeli experts and proceeded under the secret orders of President Barack Obama, a media report said.
Obama was eager to slow Iran`s apparent progress toward building an atomic bomb without launching a traditional military attack, The Washington Post said quoting unnamed current and former US officials.
The origins of the cyber weapon, which some analysts dubbed `Stuxnet` after it was discovered in 2010, have long been debated.
Most experts and reports have pointed fingers at US and Israel.
The Post said the officials described the classified effort they code named `Olympic Games` and said that it was first developed during the administration of George W Bush and was geared toward damaging Iran`s nuclear capability gradually while sowing confusion among Iranian scientists about the cause of mishaps.
Even after software security companies discovered Stuxnet loose on the Internet in 2010, causing concern among US officials, Obama secretly ordered the operation to be continued.
Overall, the attack destroyed nearly 1,000 of Iran`s 6,000 centrifuges fast-spinning machines that enrich uranium, an essential step toward building an atomic bomb, the report said.
It added that the National Security Agency of the US developed the cyber weapon with help of Israeli experts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video