`US, Israel behind cyber attack on Iran`s nuke project`
Washington: A damaging cyber attack against Iran`s nuclear programme was the work of US and Israeli experts and proceeded under the secret orders of President Barack Obama, a media report said.
Obama was eager to slow Iran`s apparent progress toward building an atomic bomb without launching a traditional military attack, The Washington Post said quoting unnamed current and former US officials.
The origins of the cyber weapon, which some analysts dubbed `Stuxnet` after it was discovered in 2010, have long been debated.
Most experts and reports have pointed fingers at US and Israel.
The Post said the officials described the classified effort they code named `Olympic Games` and said that it was first developed during the administration of George W Bush and was geared toward damaging Iran`s nuclear capability gradually while sowing confusion among Iranian scientists about the cause of mishaps.
Even after software security companies discovered Stuxnet loose on the Internet in 2010, causing concern among US officials, Obama secretly ordered the operation to be continued.
Overall, the attack destroyed nearly 1,000 of Iran`s 6,000 centrifuges fast-spinning machines that enrich uranium, an essential step toward building an atomic bomb, the report said.
It added that the National Security Agency of the US developed the cyber weapon with help of Israeli experts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi