`US, Israel behind cyber attack on Iran`s nuke project`
Washington: A damaging cyber attack against Iran`s nuclear programme was the work of US and Israeli experts and proceeded under the secret orders of President Barack Obama, a media report said.
Obama was eager to slow Iran`s apparent progress toward building an atomic bomb without launching a traditional military attack, The Washington Post said quoting unnamed current and former US officials.
The origins of the cyber weapon, which some analysts dubbed `Stuxnet` after it was discovered in 2010, have long been debated.
Most experts and reports have pointed fingers at US and Israel.
The Post said the officials described the classified effort they code named `Olympic Games` and said that it was first developed during the administration of George W Bush and was geared toward damaging Iran`s nuclear capability gradually while sowing confusion among Iranian scientists about the cause of mishaps.
Even after software security companies discovered Stuxnet loose on the Internet in 2010, causing concern among US officials, Obama secretly ordered the operation to be continued.
Overall, the attack destroyed nearly 1,000 of Iran`s 6,000 centrifuges fast-spinning machines that enrich uranium, an essential step toward building an atomic bomb, the report said.
It added that the National Security Agency of the US developed the cyber weapon with help of Israeli experts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now