US, Israel object but UN chief to visit Iran for NAM summit
United Nations: Despite strong objections from Israel and the US, UN Chief Ban Ki-moon is slated to visit Iran to attend the Nonaligned Movement summit next week.
The summit that will comprise of mainly developing countries is scheduled to take place on August 30-August 31, and Ban Ki-moon will be in Tehran from Aug 29-Aug 31.
UN spokesman Martin Nesirky said that Ban will participate in the summit because he is determined to carry out his responsibilities to the 120-member organization.
He also said that Ban will directly talk to Iran over its nuclear programme and "convey the clear concerns and expectations of the international community".
According to Nesirky, Ban will also discuss with Iran the issues of terrorism, human rights and the crisis in Syria.
He said Ban is “fully aware of the sensitivities” of the visit, but not going “would be a missed opportunity.”
Ban’s visit to Tehran comes even as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Jewish groups had warned him to travel to Iran.
Earlier this month, Netanyahu said he called Ban and warned him that traveling to Iran “would be a horrible mistake.”
Last week, US State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said that Ban’s participation in the Tehran summit would “not send a good signal.”
The US remains concerned that Iran “is going to manipulate this opportunity and the attendees to try to deflect attention from its own failings,” Nuland said.
The UN Security Council has imposed four rounds of sanctions in an attempt to push Iran to suspend uranium enrichment, a key process for producing nuclear weapons.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire