US, Israel object but UN chief to visit Iran for NAM summit
United Nations: Despite strong objections from Israel and the US, UN Chief Ban Ki-moon is slated to visit Iran to attend the Nonaligned Movement summit next week.
The summit that will comprise of mainly developing countries is scheduled to take place on August 30-August 31, and Ban Ki-moon will be in Tehran from Aug 29-Aug 31.
UN spokesman Martin Nesirky said that Ban will participate in the summit because he is determined to carry out his responsibilities to the 120-member organization.
He also said that Ban will directly talk to Iran over its nuclear programme and "convey the clear concerns and expectations of the international community".
According to Nesirky, Ban will also discuss with Iran the issues of terrorism, human rights and the crisis in Syria.
He said Ban is “fully aware of the sensitivities” of the visit, but not going “would be a missed opportunity.”
Ban’s visit to Tehran comes even as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Jewish groups had warned him to travel to Iran.
Earlier this month, Netanyahu said he called Ban and warned him that traveling to Iran “would be a horrible mistake.”
Last week, US State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said that Ban’s participation in the Tehran summit would “not send a good signal.”
The US remains concerned that Iran “is going to manipulate this opportunity and the attendees to try to deflect attention from its own failings,” Nuland said.
The UN Security Council has imposed four rounds of sanctions in an attempt to push Iran to suspend uranium enrichment, a key process for producing nuclear weapons.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark