US issues travel advisory to its citizens
Washington: The United States has issued a
worldwide caution on overseas travel of its citizens, which includes India where it said there is an increased threat of terrorism.
"There is an increased threat of terrorism in India.
Terrorists have targeted public places in India frequented by
Westerners, including luxury and other hotels, trains, train
stations, markets, cinemas, mosques, and restaurants in large
urban areas," the State Department said in its latest global
travel alert to its citizens.
Issuing the new travel alert, the Department reminded its
citizens to maintain a high level of vigilance and take
appropriate steps to increase their security awareness.
The Department of State remains concerned about the
continued threat of terrorist attacks, demonstrations, and
other violent actions against US citizens and interests
Current information suggests that al-Qaeda, its
affiliates and other terrorist organisations continue to plan
terror attacks against US interests in multiple regions,
including Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East.
These attacks may employ a wide variety of tactics
including suicide operations, assassinations, kidnappings,
hijackings, and bombings, the State Department said.
Extremists may use conventional or non-conventional weapons and target both official and private interests, it said.
On South Asia, it said the government continue to receive
information that terrorist groups in South and Central Asia
may also be planning attacks in the region, possibly against
US government facilities, its citizens, or its interests.
"The presence of al-Qaeda and its affiliates [Taliban
elements, Lashkar-e-Taiba, indigenous sectarian groups, and
other terror organizations], many of which are on the US
government`s list of Foreign Terror Organisations (FTOs),
poses a potential danger to US citizens in the region," the
State Department said.
Terrorists and their sympathisers have demonstrated their
willingness and ability to attack targets where US citizens or
Westerners are known to congregate or visit, it said, adding
their actions may include, but are not limited to vehicle-born
explosive attacks, improvised explosive device attacks, rocket
attacks, assassinations, carjackings, assaults or kidnappings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi