`US-Japan ties critical to peace, security of Asia Pacific`
Washington: The relationship between the United States and Japan has evolved into a "global partnership" and is critical to the peace and security of the Asia Pacific region, the US Secretary of State John Kerry has said.
"We meet now, two of the three strongest economies in the world, and we meet as very special friends in a very strong alliance, an alliance that I can say to you is really evolving into a global partnership and which is critical to the peace and security of the Asia Pacific," Kerry said in his joint press availability with his Japanese counterpart Fumio Kishida yesterday.
Appreciating Japanese role in Afghanistan and on global issues like counter terrorism and climate change, he said that Japan has also worked hard on the issue of nuclear non-proliferation.
"They have been an important partner in reducing the level of fuel being used and bought, purchased from Iran. They`ve been important with respect to the enforcement of sanctions," Kerry said.
"Japan is a very important partner in efforts to try to reduce global greenhouse gas emissions," the US official said, adding that the country has also been part of the `Major Economies Forum on Energy and Climate`, `Climate and Clean Air Coalition` and other initiatives.
"Just to underscore the importance of the relationship with Japan, obviously everybody has been aware of tensions around the Senkaku Islands, and I want to compliment Japan on the restraint that it has shown, its efforts to try to make sure that this does not flare up into a significant confrontation," Kerry said.
Meanwhile, Japanese Foreign minister Fumio Kishida said that the Japan-US alliance is a "lynchpin" of the Japan`s foreign policy and it would like to progress in every spheres by reinforcing the alliance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Premier Futsal: Goa 5's outclass Bengaluru 5's 3-0, seal semi-final spot
- Scientists reconstruct detailed 3D eyes from single photo
- Santander pips BBVA: Eurozone`s largest bank becomes La Liga's newest sponsors
- US sanctions target Assad regime's arms, finance networks
- Bastille Day killer had help preparing Nice attack, says Paris prosecutor