US judge accepts Holmes` plea in `Dark Knight` massacre
Washington: A US judge has agreed to James Holmes use of `Joker defense` to argue he is not guilty by reason of insanity for allegedly carrying out the `Dark Knight` movie theater massacre.
Holmes had allegedly killed 12 people during the screening of ` The Dark Knight Rises` at a movie hall in Colorado, United States, last year.
According to the New York Daily News, a judge on Tuesday accepted Holmes` plea, setting the stage for a lengthy mental evaluation of the suspect in the shooting.
Judge Carlos Samour Jr. read through 18 points regarding the nature of the plea in court, and then asked Holmes if he had any questions.
Defense attorney Daniel King arrives at district court for a hearing for Aurora theater shooting suspect James Holmes in Centennial, Colorado, on Tuesday.
The judge said that he found Holmes understanding the effects and consequences of the not guilty by reason of insanity plea, adding that he was looking at the advisement and appeared to be following along, the report said.
According to the report, Holmes` lawyers repeatedly have said he is mentally ill, but they delayed the insanity plea while arguing state laws were unconstitutional.
The next step will be to carry out a psychiatric evaluation of Holmes by state doctors to determine whether he was insane at the time of the shootings, which could take months.
If a jury finds Holmes not guilty by reason of insanity, he would be committed indefinitely to the state mental hospital, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt