US judge enters not guilty plea for `Dark Knight` killer James Holmes
Washington: A judge in Colorado, US has entered a `not guilty` plea on behalf of James Holmes, who allegedly killed 12 people during the screening of `The Dark Knight Rises` at a movie hall last year.
The move came after Holmes`s lawyer told a hearing that his client was not yet ready to enter a plea.
If Holmes is convicted, he could be executed or spend the rest of his life in prison, the People reports.
Judge William Sylvester said Holmes, 25, can change his plea to not guilty by reason of insanity later, if he chooses.
Such a change could be the only way Holmes could avoid life in prison or execution, the report said.
Prosecutors, for their part, have not said yet whether they will pursue the death penalty, announcing that they will make their decision known on April 1, it added.
Holmes is charged with 166 counts, mostly murder and attempted murder, in the July 20 attack on moviegoers at a midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises in the Denver suburb of Aurora.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Sushant Singh Rajput shares third poster of ‘M.S.Dhoni- The Untold Story’
- Triple treat for Shah Rukh Khan fans in 2017 – Details inside
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside