US judge orders Iran, Qaeda to pay $6 bn for 9/11
New York: A US judge here has ordered terror group al Qaeda, Taliban and Iran to pay nearly USD six billion to relatives of the victims and survivors of the September 11 attacks.
The lawsuit was filed against the terror groups as well as against Iran for its complicity in the attacks.
In his 16-page ruling US Magistrate Judge Frank Maas has ordered that the 110 survivors and 47 victims` estates that are parties to the lawsuit be awarded damages of the amount of USD 6,048,513,805.
The plaintiffs had sought economic damages for the past and future lost wages.
On December 22, 2011, a default judgement was entered by Judge George Daniels on behalf of the plaintiffs, one of the cases comprising the lawsuit against Iran, Ayatollah Ali Hoseini Khamenei, Hezbollah, and other Iranian individuals and entities as well as against Osama bin Laden, the Taliban, and al Qaeda.
Daniels had found that Iran and the Hezbollah outfit had aided al Qaeda in the attacks.
The lawsuit said the plaintiffs had sought damages for their decedents` "pain and suffering".
One of the plaintiffs to the lawsuit, Ellen Saracini told the New York Daily News that she was happy with the ruling.
Her husband, Victor Saracini, was captain of the United Airlines Flight which struck the south tower of the World Trade Center.
"It`s hard being happy, but I am happy about it," said Saracini.
"But it opens up old wounds. We were never in it for a lawsuit. I wanted to know what happened to my husband".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city