US judge orders release of Pak man arrested in Times bomb case
Boston: A Pakistani man arrested for
immigration violations during investigation into the failed
Times Square bombing plot will soon be released after a judge
ruled that there was no reason to keep him behind bars.
Immigration Judge Brenda O`Malley reinstated the USD
10,000 cash bail for Mohammad Shafiq Rahman yesterday.
Rahman`s family had posted the bail earlier this year,
but Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials had blocked
his release, citing new information that they would not
"He`s just looking forward to coming home," Rahman`s
wife Sara Rahman was quoted as saying by the Boston Globe.
She said her husband had relied on his devout Muslim
faith to get him through the ordeal.
"Both of us have relied on our love for each other to
get through this," she added. "Throughout all of this, he`s
continued to give me strength and support."
Rahman, a 33-year-old computer programmer from Maine
near here, was one of three men arrested from the New England
area on May 13 after authorities discovered possible links
between them and Faisal Shahzad, who had pleaded guilty to
attempting to blow up a car loaded with explosives in Times
Square on May 1.
Authorities had also arrested Aftab Ali Khan, 27, and
Pir Khan, a 43-year-old taxi driver, during the investigation.
Pir Khan was released from jail last month as he was
no longer considered a flight risk.
However, officials had said they want to deport Pir
Khan, who married an American woman, because he entered the
United States illegally through Mexico in 1991.
Rahman`s attorney Cynthia Arn said the pending release
of her client means that his case is no longer linked to the
Time Square bombing attempt.
The issue will be whether Rahman legally qualifies to
stay in the United States, given his marriage to an American
"This will turn into a run-of-the-mill adjustment of
status," she said.
Aftab, Pir Khan`s cousin, is still in custody in New
York for immigration violations. None of the three have been
charged with any crime related to the bombing attempt.
According to federal officials, Ali Khan had Shahzad`s
cell phone number stored in his phone.
Authorities say the men may have given money to
Shahzad without knowing how the money would be used.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler