US judge says `sorry` for racist digs at Obama
Los Angeles: A top US judge has turned in an
apology after e-mailing a racially charged joke about
President Barack Obama that likened African-Americans to
To make matters worse, Richard Cebull, a chief district
US jugde for Montana sent the e-mail from his courthouse
chambers to his seven close "buddies," the Great Falls Tribune
The judge apparently never thought that the `joke` may
become public, but said he was surprised that one of the
recipients passed it along with his name on it, to the
newspaper `Great Falls Tribune.`
"This is a private thing that was, to say the least, very
poor judgement on my part," Cebull said. "I did not forward it
because of the racist nature of it. Although it is racist, I`m
not that way, never have been."
"Normally I don`t send or forward a lot of these, but even
by my standards, it was a bit touching. I want all of my
friends to feel what I felt when I read this. Hope it touches
your heart like it did mine," Cebull said.
Acknowledging that he was opposed to Obama, the judge said
he did not consider himself `racist` and the e-mail was
intended to be a private communication.
"The only reason I can explain it to you is I am not a fan
of our president, but this goes beyond not being a fan,"
Cebull said. "I didn`t send it as racist, although that`s what
it is. I sent it out because it`s anti-Obama."
The judge was nominated by former President George W Bush
and received his commission in 2001 and has served as chief
judge for the District of Montana since 2008.
Human Rights Network has taken exception to a judge
indulging in such past times.
Travis McAdam, executive director for the Montana, said
the email contained highly racist rhetoric unbecoming of a
"We have a hard time believing that a legitimate
criticism of the president involves distributing a joke that
basically compares African Americans with animals."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader