US Justice Dept targets Bobby Jindal over voter registration
Washington: The US Department of Justice has
targeted Indian origin Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal as part
of a investigation to find out whether the American state is
complying with federal voting laws.
J Christian Adams, a former attorney in the Civil Rights
Division of the Justice Department, claimed that the ultimate
purpose of the investigation is to file a federal lawsuit
against the Jindal administration, a report published in
`Washington Examiner` said.
Meanwhile, the Indian-American Conservative Council
(IAAC) has accused the Department of Justice with falsely
trying to victimise Jindal.
"Governor Jindal is well-respected as a policy leader who
reaches across gender, racial and political lines to put the
people of Louisiana first.
He does not seek the political spotlight, but rather
attempts to bridge gaps between different communities and find
solutions to common problems," said IACC Chairman Dino
"This latest news from the Justice Department appears to be
a solution in search of a problem," Teppara said.
"This selective investigative cherry-picking of Justice
Department lawyers of the National Voter Registration Act of
1993 is disconcerting to say the least," he said.
"This law also required military recruiting centres to
provide voter registration and requires states to maintain the
integrity of voter lists by purging deceased individuals and
convicted felons from their voter rolls.
While these sections of the law should also be enforced,
they`re not, and instead, we`re seeing a selective
investigation," Teppara alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves