US Justice Dept voices concern over harassment of Sikh student
Washington: Raising concerns over the harassment of a Sikh student in Georgia for bearing turban and being called a `terrorist`, the US Justice Department has rapped the school administration for not taking enough steps to prevent such `verbal and physical` abuse.
A complaint in this regard was filed to the Department of Justice by a non-governmental Sikh coalition against the DeKalb County School district in Georgia, alleging that the student had been repeatedly targeted with verbal and physical harassment because of his Sikh faith, the Federal body said yesterday.
Though, as a result of the investigation, the School administration has agreed to take steps to implement anti-harassment training at the student`s middle and high school.
The Justice Department said that the school had not investigated witness` statements regarding the student being called a `terrorist` and that there was a history of fellow students targeting him because of his turban.
"Students of all faiths must be protected from harassment and other forms of discrimination," said Jocelyn Samuels, Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Rights Division.
Following an inquiry into the student-specific complaints, the Department notified the school of its concerns that it had failed to respond promptly and appropriately to the Sikh Coalition`s allegations of harassment, including that the student was called "Aladdin" because he wore a turban and was told by a fellow student to "go back to his country".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon