US kinder and gentler nation because of Bush senior: Obama
Washington: United States is a "kinder and gentler nation" because of the former President, George HW Bush, the current occupant to the post Barack Obama has said.
Obama lauded the 41st US president at a White House ceremony to recognise Points of Light Foundation, the nonprofit group Bush founded in 1990 to promote volunteerism.
"Our country is a better and a stronger force for good in the world because, more and more, we are a people that serve.
And for that, we have to thank President Bush, and his better half, Barbara, who is just as committed as her husband to service, and has dedicated her life to it as well," Obama said.
Obama announced a new task force, with representatives from Cabinet agencies and departments across the government, to take a fresh look at how they can better support national service on some of the most important national priorities like improving schools, recovering from disasters and mentoring kids etc.
"And this task force will be led by my team here at the White House, along with Wendy Spencer, who is here -- the CEO of the Corporation for National and Community Service -- who previously led the volunteer commission in Florida for Governor Jeb Bush," he said.
Points of Light Foundation, the nonprofit group Bush founded in 1990 to promote volunteerism, awarded its 5,000 daily point of light award to Floyd Hammer and Kathy Hamilton, whose Outreach Inc. Delivers meals to starving children around the world.
In his 1989 inaugural address, Bush had famously called community volunteers "a thousand points of light," and his foundation has since grown into the largest nonprofit in the world dedicated to volunteer service.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical