`US knew ISI had links with Tiger Memon`
Washington: American officials knew for a
very long time that ISI had created various terrorist groups,
including those based out from Nepal, to carry out attacks in
India including the 1996 Lajpat Nagar blast, according to the
latest US cables released by WikiLeaks.
The US cables clearly show that Americans also knew that
Tiger Memon, the prime accused in 1993 Mumbai blast case and
an aide of global terrorist Dawood Ibrahim, had tied up with
In these cables, US officials say that it is the ISI which
created various terrorist fronts to carry out terror
activities in India, including the bomb blasts in the busy
areas of Connaught Place, Lajpat Nagar in New Delhi
and several cities across the country.
One of such organisation created by ISI in Pakistan was
Jammu and Kashmir Islamic Front (JKIF), with its main base in
"To dispatch men and material and to execute explosions
in India, Kathmandu was invariably made the nodal point and
JKIF exploited the vulnerable Kathmandu-based Kashmiri
businessmen for such activities since they had a ready-made
and clean past.
JKIF kingpin Javed Krawah himself used to run a carpet
business in Kathmandu," said the US cable signed off by none
other than the then US Ambassador to India, Frank Wisner.
JKIF, says the cable dated July 8, 1997, was controlled
from Pakistan by ISI and Memon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof