US launches Persian Gulf surge to counter Iran
Washington: The United States Navy is upgrading its defensive and offensive capabilities in the Persian Gulf to counter Iran’s threat to block the world’s most important oil shipping route Strait of Hormuz, an official has said.
Admiral Jonathan W Greenert, the chief of US naval operations, said that the Navy would add four more mine-sweeping ships and four more Sea Stallion helicopters with mine-detection capability.
The Navy is also sending more underwater unmanned mine-neutralisation units to the region.
Greenert said he plans to assign more patrol craft to the gulf, possibly armed with Mark 38 Gatling guns. The same kind of guns might be placed on ships that provide protection for US aircraft carriers or perhaps on the carriers themselves.
“US ships have excellent long-range defences but could use weapons for closer combat,” The Los Angeles Times quoted Greenert, as saying.
“It’s like being in an alley with a rifle and maybe what you need is a sawed-off shotgun,” he added.
Iran has earlier threatened to block the Strait of Hormuz, which served as the conduit for 17 million barrels of oil every day last year.
The country has boasted that they could “swarm” large US ships with their smaller, fast-moving craft, and has also reportedly been laying mines along their coastline.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video