US lawmaker advocate of visa for Modi loses in polls
Washington: The only US lawmaker to have publicly advocated revocation of visa ban on Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi lost the Congressional election to a Democrat.
Joe Walsh, a far-right Tea Party member, was defeated resoundingly by Democrat Tammy Duckworth in the Eighth Congressional District of Illinois by nearly 10 percentage points.
His defeat was welcomed by several Indian American groups, including the Indian American Muslim Council (IAMC).
"In a nation that cherishes tolerance, Mr Walsh`s defeat demonstrates the futility of divisive agendas and the promotion of human rights violators," said Shaheen Khateeb, president of IAMC.
Walsh, who is also a hawkish supporter of Israel, was the first elected official to openly campaign for granting a visa to Modi, whose entry into the US was banned under the International Religious Freedom Act.
This law makes any foreign government official who "was responsible for severe violations of religious freedom" ineligible for a US visa.
The law was invoked for Modi following allegations of complicity in the Gujarat riots in 2002.
According to Huffington Post nearly USD 6.6 million in outside spending was reported on this seat, including USD 2.7 million worth of ads attacking Duckworth poured into the race by conservative group`s in the race`s final days.
Eminent Indian Americans, in particular Muslims and secular groups, welcomed the defeat Waslsh and termed this as a victory for pluralism and tolerance and defeat for racism and religious bigotry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured