US lawmaker asks Russia to deport Snowden, warns Ecuador
Washington: A top American lawmaker asked Russia to deport whistleblower Edward Snowden and warned Ecuador that trade preferences could be withdrawn if it gave asylum to the American fugitive.
In a statement Senator Robert Menendez, Chairman of the powerful Senate Foreign Relations Committee, called on Russia to cease sheltering fugitive Snowden and release him immediately into the custody of the United States.
He also warned Ecuador`s government led by President Rafael Correa not to grant Snowden asylum, adding that such a decision would severely jeopardize the preferential trade access provided to goods from Ecuador under the Generalized System of Preferences which is presently before the Congress for renewal.
"Edward Snowden is a fugitive who has endangered the national security of the United States," said Menendez.
"His actions merit prosecution, not praise. Snowden has overstayed his welcome at the Moscow airport. I call on the Russian government, in the interest of justice, as well as US-Russian relations, to release him into the custody of the US Government today," he said.
"Our government will not reward countries for bad behavior. If Snowden is granted asylum in Ecuador, I will lead the effort to prevent the renewal of Ecuador`s duty-free access under GSP and will also make sure there is no chance for renewal of the Andean Trade Promotion and Drug Eradication Act" he said.
"Trade preferences are a privilege granted to nations, not a right," Menendez added.
"I urge President Correa to do the right thing by the United States and Ecuador, and deny Snowden`s request for asylum," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part IV
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part II
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen